Basilica MinoredelSto. Niño de Cebu Community (1565)
Osmeña Blvd. 6000 CEBU CITY


The church was founded in 1565 by Fray Andres de Urdaneta, OSA, and perhaps was constructed using light materials. It was known from the beginning as the San Agustin Church and Monastery and it is the oldest church founded in the country owing from its parallelism with the early Christianization efforts in Cebu and later to some other parts of the country. It was since then the sanctuary of the oldest icon in the Philippines, the Sto. Niño de Cebu. Fray Diego de Herrera was its first prior. The present stone structure was constructed under Fr. Juan Albarran, OSA from 1735 to 1740. The church and monastery became an important hub not only of the devotion to the Holy Child. It was also an important missionary core and one of the principal houses of the Augustinians in the Visayas.In the said monastery, the Japanese Augustinian martyr, Blessed Thomas Jihyoe of St. Augustine, spent some time when he was ordained priest in Cebu before going back to Japan to do mission in his native place. It was damaged during World War II but was diligently repaired. In 1964, some parts of the church and convent were renovated in preparation for the 4th Centenary of the Christianization of the Philippines in 1965. It was raised as a Basilica Minore in April 1, 1965 by Ildebrando Cardinal Antoniutti. In 1973, President Ferdinand Marcos declared it as a national shrine in recognition of its historical significance. In a recent October 15, 2013 earthquake, the belfry was badly damaged. Luckily, church and the convent suffered only minor crack.

Return to top


Sto. Niño de Cebu-Mohon Parish (1985)
F. Bas St., Lower Mohon, 6045 TALISAY CITY, CEBU


Sto. Niño de Cebu Parish was a fruit of the discernment of the Augustinians in the expansion of the Sto. Niño devotion centered at the Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño in Cebu City. Because of the dire need to accommodate the growing number of the devotees, the friars, at that time under the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus in the Philippines, decided to establish a chapel in a lot in Lower Mohon, Talisay, Cebu in 1982. The chapel was completed in 1983. But there were moves and recommendations from surrounding parishes that the Augustinian presence in Mohon can become a parish community itself. Thus, hearing this recommendations, Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, DD, issued in January 20, 1985, fittingly on the Feast of the Sto. Niño, the canonical erection of the parish. It covered the rural barangays of Mohon, Biasong and Pooc. Its first parish priest was the late Rev. Fr. AmbrosioGalindez, OSA. Subsequently, in December 18, 1985, the Prior General of the Augustinians declared that the parish as a religious residence. In 2003, the new friary was completed and blessed for the Augustinian community.

Return to top


Augustinian Novitiate and Prayer House (1989)
Lower Mohon, 6045 TALISAY CITY, CEBU


A novitiate house in each religious congregation and order is an essential part of religious formation. Its importance is felt in the life of the Church that even in her basic legislation, the Canon Law basically protects it through its specific provisions. In the same note also that the newly inaugurated Augustinian Province in Asia-Pacific had felt the need of an independent institution to protect the neophyte members incorporated to Augustinian community. From the time of separation of the new province of Sto. Niño de Cebu from the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, its novices were used to housed in San Agustin Center of Studies, in Quezon City along with other formands of different formation levels. The move to construct a separate formation house started in November 1988 and completed in July 1989. The date of its canonical erection and declaration as a religious community was on February 3, 1989 on the memorial of Augustinian Blessed Stephen Bellesini, who himself was once a faithful formator of novices. It was blessed on August 26, 1989 which was presided by Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, DD, Archbishop of Cebu with the then Prior Provincial, Fr. EusebioBerdon, OSA.On February 3, 2014, the community celebrated God's graciousness for the 25 years of fruitful formation of future Augustinian religious.

Return to top


Provincialate Community (1993) andColegio del Sto. Niño
Sto. Niño Pilgrim Center cor. Osmeña Blvd. & P. Burgos St. 6000 CEBU CITY


The creation of the Provincialate community can technically be attributed to the very creation of the Province itself. Yet, it was not until 1993 that a separate existenceAfter the inauguration of the Province in January 1984, the key persons who manage the government of the Province resided in San Agustin Monastery in Intramuros, Manila. Eventually, when the structure of San Agustin Center of Studies was almost completed, Fr. EusebioBerdon, OSA the first Prior Provincial, with Frs. MelchorMirador, OSA, Provincial Secretary and Rogelio Objaan, OSA Provincial Treasurer, transferred at SACS in the middle of 1984. Hence, SACS become once the seat of the Province until 1990. Sadly, the community must be suspended temporarily as the Provincial and the Provincial Secretary transferred to Cebu and be absorbed by the Basilica del Sto. Niño Community while the Provincial Treasurer remained at SACS in Quezon City. In the new leadership with Fr. Bernardino Ricafrente, OSA as the Prior Provincial, the Provincialate Offices were transferred in 1993 to its present site in the newly constructed Sto. Niño Pilgrim Center within the Basilica compound.The ColegiodelSto. Niño which was established in 1902 by Fr. Jose Lobo, OSA was since under the Basilica friars for its administration. But in 1992, the administration was given to the Provincialate Community. At present ColegiodelSto. Niño opened an extension campus in Greenhills, San Fernando, Cebu in June 2014. The Provincialate community is also involved in maintaining a mission station in Kinatarcan Is., Sta. Fe., Bantayan, Cebu.

Return to top


Our Mother of Perpetual Help Parish (2004)
The Roman Catholic Rectory
8416 SOCORRO (Bucas Grande Is.)
SURIGAO DEL NORTE


The Our Mother of Perpetual Help Parish situated in Socorro in the island of Bucas Grande, Surigaodel Norte, was originally a remote mission Parish of the Society of Divine Word Fathers. At the outset of their missionary efforts in Socorro, the Augustinians were invited by Bp. Miguel Cinchez, SVD, DD in 2001. Since then, the parish was administered ad experimentumuntil 2004, when it was definitively accepted. A new parish church was constructed under the Augustinians. Its first Augustinian Parish Priest and Prior was Fr. SesenioPaderog, OSA. The Province considers Socorro as a mission parish because of its situation where Catholics are considered a minority. The island is dominated by a local sect Iglesia Filipina Independiente (aka Aglipayans) with its own splinter groups. The pastoral administration of the Augustinians reenergized the Basic Ecclesial Communities' Program into more concrete ways of helping local Catholics.As a firm sign of their dedication, in February 1, 2009, a new parish rectory was blessed.Moreover, in April 28, 2010, the Roman Catholic Consumers' Cooperative (ROCACOCO) was established during parochial leadership of Fr. Benjamin Unabia Jr., OSA and in 2012, with Fr. Leo Mario Singco's leadership the garment factory was established. All these are envisioned towards a more sustainable and fruitful faith integration in the parish bridging faith into action and contributed to the growth of Catholic faith in the parish and to the whole island.

Return to top


Colegio San Agustin-Mati (2010)
Dahican, Mati City, Davao Oriental


Colegio San Agustin-Mati is the newest school community of the Province. It started with the aim of the friars in cooperation with the University of San Agustinto expand off-shoreits educational commitment and Mati was eyed after the Augustinians acquired from Rabat family half of the lot and the family donated the other half. A friary was constructed in 2010 and a new community was established. Fray Efren Objaan, OSA was the first superior of the community. In June 2013, a three-storey school building rose and the new Colegio San Agustin-Mati opened its portals for kindergarten and nursery pupils. Its first director was Rev. Fr. Victor Gonzaga, OSA.

Return to top


Sto. Niño Spirituality Center Community (2010)
Brgy. Tolo-tolo, 6001 CONSOLACION, CEBU


The Sto. Niño Spirituality Center is envisioned to be a Center of the Province for spiritual renewal and its resource center for Spirituality formation for friars and lay counterparts. It was initially conceivedand was eventually approved during the 7th Intermediate Chapter of the Province in 2006. It is situated at the mountainous barangay Tolo-tolo, in Consolacion town, Cebu. It was blessed on January 15, 2009 by Most Rev. Fr. Robert Prevost, OSA, the then Prior General of the Order. On April 10, 2010, the religious community of the Spirituality Center was established with Fr. Jerome Mesina, OSA as the first Prior of the House the Center's Director. On August 27, 2011, the permanent residence of the Augustinian community was blessed by the Prior Provincial, Fr. EusebioBerdon, OSA. The Spirituality Center initially functions as a retreat house mainly to the friars of the Province and to other religious and civil groups who wished to experience silence and prayerful retreat in this Augustinian abode.

Return to top


Sta. Ana Parish Residence (2012)
The Roman Catholic Rectory
Brgy. Poblacion 2, Burgos, Surigaodel Norte


Sta. Ana Parish was established in 1984 as a sub-parish under Sta. Monica Parish, Sta. Monica, Surigaodel Norte in Siargao Island. The then Society of Divine Word missionary, now a bishop of Sorsogon, Fr. Arturo Bastes, SVD, was instrumental on its construction. Since then, it remained under the curacy of Sta. Monica that it solely depended on priests from the main parish. However, there were no priests resided permanently to celebrate regular Mass and the sacraments. In 2010, the community of friars in Socorro were invited by Bp. AntonietoCabajog, DD to minister Burgos. Henceforth, Burgos became an extension of Socorro community. Friar-priests were assigned alternately every month to attend to the pastoral needs of Burgos. After two years, Sta. Ana Sub-Parish was definitely accepted by the Provincial Chapter in 2012 and led to the signing of the Memorandum of Agreement between the Diocese of Surigao and the Augustinians to administer the Burgos for 25 years and renewable on the feast of St. Anne, July 26, 2012. A year after, on the same feast day of the Patroness, Sta. Ana Parish was raised into the canonical status of a parish by Bp. Cabajog.

Return to top



San Jose-Iloilo Community (1868)
San Jose Parish Church
San Jose Catholic School
001 San Jose de Calasanz St.
Plaza Libertad
5000 ILOILO CITY


San Jose Parish started as a chaplaincy in La Punta (the name of old Iloilo) of the secular clergy originally stationed in the curacy of Arevalo since 1582 and later depended onOtonunder the Augustinians in 1647. This was done more so becauseSeñor Pedro de Acuña deployed two companies of soldiers in the area in order to guard against marauding pirates infesting the channel between Guimaras and Iloilo. This area was called Estanzuela or small station. However, in 1607 the Jesuits established a small chapel in Estanzuela and ministered to the soldiers against the wishes of the Augustinians. In a council held in April 29, 1617, a house in the same place was accepted by the Augustinians. When the Jesuits were expelled from the country in 1768, the Dominicans shortly ministered the chaplaincy but in 1775, it was returned to the secular clergy. In 1868, it was given back to the Augustinians in exchange of Jaro, but ministered only starting in 1873 with Fr. Mauricio Blanco, OSA as the first prior and minister. The early structure which was built by a secular priest Fr. Leonardo Lazaro with the assistance of Don Manuel Iznart, was enlarged by Fr. Blanco and added the two towers in 1893. After which, many other notable additions and embellishments were added by succeeding friars making up the present structure an eye catcher in front of Plaza Libertad. The parish is under the patronage of St. Joseph but it also keeps two other important icons. First, the parish venerates the image of our Lady of the Rosary miraculously discovered by Diego Quiñones during the defense of La Punta against the Dutch invaders. This happened on September 29, 1614. It also keeeps a replica of the image of the Sto. Niño de Cebu a gift of Fr. SulpicioEnderes, OSA to the then Parish Priest Fr. AmbrosioGalindez, OSA. This simple gesture of fraternal regard started the devotion to the Sto. Niño in Iloilo City and gave birth to Dinagyang festivities makingSan Jose the religious center of the festival. The parish also has an attached school, the San Jose Parochial School, opened as an educational apostolate in charity. It catered the children of sugar industry workers when the economic heyday in Iloilo started to decline. Fr. Manuel Diez, OSA opened the charity school in 1902 and it is still operating under the auspices of the Augustinians now renamed as San Jose Catholic School.

Return to top


University of San Agustin-Iloilo Community (1904)
University of San Agustin-Iloilo Community
Gen. Luna St., 5000 ILOILO CITY


The Augustinians had plans to establish a school in Iloilo as early as 1880's. The dream was realized in April 21, 1890 during the Definitors' meeting that schools should be established in Iloilo and in Vigan. However the delay was due at the turn of the century as Philippine revolution in 1898 broke out followed by American occupation in 1899 in Iloilo. The school building being constructed was turned by the colonizers into a garrison. It took another rehabilitation until it was finally opened in July 15, 1904 as a school for boys numbering to 300. Most of them were internos or student-boarders. The first rector of the then Colegio San Agustin de Iloilo was Fr. Bernabe Jimenez, OSA. The school however suffered the atrocities of World War II when the Japanese ordered its closure. It was however reopened in June 1943 but, again, as the heights of war came to its apex, the school was just one of the many structures bombed save the Urdaneta Hall which was able to withstand amidst destruction. The school was reopened in 1945 during the declaration of independence. School life continued and even proved that the school was able to cope from the loss of war by the succeeding openings of different colleges and departments. This was rewarded in March 1, 1953 with the University status by the Philippine government and dubbed as the first University in Western Visayas. It continued to grow and expand its programs and curriculum let alone the numerous cultural contributions it made to the local heritage of Iloilo. In 1996, it opened its extension campus in Brgy. Sambag, Jaro, Iloilo City for the High School students and later integrated also the Elementary students renaming the extension campus as the Basic Education Department. Many prominent people excelled from the different sectors of the society have come from its halls. Some of them are Bishop Julio Labayen OCD, DD, Bishop-Emeritus of the Prelature of Infanta; Fr. Romeo Intengan, SJ, former Provincial Superior of the Jesuits, Mr. Edgar Sia II entrepreneur and initiator of MangInasal and the world-renowned singer Mr. Jed Madela. In 2004, the University marked its centennial celebration since its foundation in 1904 reliving 100 glorious years of academic excellence and outstanding Christian-Augustinian valuesformation.

Return to top


Colegio San Agustin-Bacolod (1962))
Benigno S. Aquino Drive
6100 BACOLOD CITY


Colegio San Agustin-Bacolod arose from the old Casanova School owned by Doña Soledad Locsin. Casanova was turned over to the Augustinian friars on August 9, 1961. On July 8, 1962, less than a year after the official turn over, the friars opened the portal of the Colegio admitting Kindergarten, Elementary and High School students. Its first Rector was Rev. Fr. Jeronimo Alvarez, OSA. On July 19, 1965, the colegio opened its doors to tertiary students by offering Liberal Arts and pioneered some course offerings such as Engineering, Chemistry and Medical Technology in Bacolod City. The prestige of Colegio San Agustin in Negros Occidental radiates from the many achievers that come from its halls. Like a soaring eagle, the institution proved itself to be competitive in academic and non-academic stints within Negros and beyond. In 2003, the Colegio expanded and constructed a new extension campus in Villa Angela, Bacolod City. The extension campus houses now some courses in HRM and Nursing. As it expands for its academic needs, more so it felt the need to care for the spiritual needs and continuing Christian-Augustinian formation; hence, the school acquired a retreat facility in the mountainous town of Don Salvador Benedicto, Negros Occidental in 2009. The retreat house now bears the name Centro Sant' Agostino-Benedicto imitating the familiar abbreviation of the school's name CSA-B. It caters the spiritual formation and regular retreat and recollection of the students of the Colegio. It is managed by one friar from the school and it is hoped that in the future, it will become an independent house of the Province.

Return to top


San Agustin Chapel-Sambag Residence (2012)
Villa San Paolo, Diversion Road, Brgy. Sambag,
Jaro ILOILO CITY 5000


San Agustin Chapel is located beside the University of San Agustin-Basic Education Department in Sambag, Jaro, Iloilo City. It was originally constructed in 2000 to commemorate the Jubilee Year. The chapel, hence, serves as the chapel of the extension campus in Sambag. In 2012, San Agustin Chapel was separated from the community of the University of San Agustin-Iloilo to focus on the ministerial aspect of the chapel such as daily masses – not only for the students in the nearby school but also for the people surrounding the chapel – and celebration of sacraments particularly of weddings.

Return to top



Monasterio de Guadalupe Community (1601)
NuestraSeñora de Gracia Parish
San Agustin Seminary
7440 Bernardino St., Guadalupe Viejo
1200 MAKATI CITY


The foundation of the church and convent of Monasterio de Guadalupe can be traced during the approval of its erection during the Provincial Chapter of the Augustinians on March 7, 1601. It was founded with a designation of domusformata under the advocacy of the Blessed Virgin Mary, our Lady of Grace, the oldest Augustinian Marian devotion. In 1603, because of popular request, it was however changed to the patronage of our Lady of Guadalupe. A wooden replica of the image of our Lady of Guadalupe from Extramadura, Spain, used to be kept and popularly venerated in the church. But the said image was lost forever after the damaging earthquake in 1880. The stone structure was completed sometime in 1623 under Fray Hernando Guerrero, OSA. However, many natural and man-made calamitieshad devastated the structure. A series of repairs were done by the Augustinians as time went by. But, ultimately it was destroyed in February 1899 during the Filipino-American war and was left for a long time in ruins. Some of its stones were used for the reconstruction of the Manila Cathedral leading to the demolition of the monastery building in 1950's. After almost 70 years, the then Archbishop of Manila, Rufino Cardinal Santos, DD, invited back the Augustinians to pastorally manage the parish on June 29, 1970. The Augustinians enthusiastically rebuilt the monastery and church as they were given fifty years by the archdiocese for its pastoral care. Today the community continues to manage the parish which was named back to its original title as the NuestraSeñora de Gracia Parish. The community also houses the formation of professional/late vocation seminarians preparing to be future Augustinian priests and brothers.

Return to top


St. Augustine of Hippo Quasi-Parish (2012)
Saguday, Quirino


Saint Augustine of Hippo Quasi-Parish is one of the latest commitments of the Augustinians. It is also their aim to go upnorth of Luzon as the old Augustinian missionaries had done before. It was accepted as a mission parish during the Provincial chapter of April 2012 assigning Fr. SesenioPaderog, OSA and Fr. TarquinGamao, OSA as pioneer missioners of the Province.

Return to top


San Agustin Center of Studies (1984) and Saint Thomas of Villanova Institute
#1 Fisheries St., VASRA 1100 QUEZON CITY


San Agustin Center of Studies (SACS) is one of the formation houses of the Augustinian Province of Sto. Niño de Cebu – Philippines which houses the formation communities of Simple Professed Friars (Theology students) and the Pre-novices (College students). Conceived by the friars at that time under the mother Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, it was finally concretized during its solemn blessing and inauguration on November 13, 1984, less than a year after the new Province of Sto. Niño de Cebu was born. The Philosophy Institute of the Province, the Saint Thomas of Villanova Institute affiliated to the University of San Agustin – Iloilo College of Arts and Sciences was established in 1996 within its compound. It is where the College seminarians study for their Bachelor's degree in Philosophy as a preparatory step for their theological studies. In 2006, the institute opened also its portals to extern students from other college seminaries. In 2014, SACS marks its 30th year anniversary of untiring formation of future Filipino Augustinian religious and priests in the service of the Order and the Church.

Return to top


Colegio San Agustin-Biñan Community (1984) andSto. Niño de Cebu Parish
Southwoods Interchange, Juana Complex 1
San Francisco, 4024 BIÑAN, LAGUNA


The presence of the Augustinians in Biñan, Laguna is very observable along South Luzon Expressway. The humble beginning becomes now a looming academic and spiritual centrum in the modernizing face in that part of Laguna. It started in 1983 when La Paz Housing and Development Corporation offered a six-hectare lot in Juana Complex with the condition that the friars will establish a school and a church. The successive approvals of the Bishop of San Pablo and the Prior General of the Augustinians in 1984 to establish a canonical presence, the Augustinians then organized the founding of a school. Hence, Colegio San Agustin-Biñan opened on June 17, 1985 for 646 junior kindergarten and three primary grade pupils. Its first Prior and School Director was Fr. Rodolfo Sicio, OSA. The response of the surrounding residents was positive and it let to complete the elementary grade levels by school year 1986-1987. During the school year 1998-1999, the school offered tertiary courses and hence opening its doors for college students. The parish on the one hand was canonically created on July 29, 1986 under the titular of Sto. Niño de Cebu. The parish started as a small chapel but on August 17, 1989, the construction of a new church started despite meager finances. Today, the majestic red brick parish with its striking baroque retablo stands noticeable from afar. The parish church is keeping also a faithful replica of the icon of the Sto. Niño de Cebu which was used during the visit of Pope John Paul II in Cebu.

Return to top


Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish (1986)
14-L Santos St., Chrysanthemum Village
4023 SAN PEDRO, LAGUNA


The parish of Our Mother of Good Counsel was established by the Somascan Fathers in 1979 under the original titular of St. Jerome Emiliani, their religious founder and a saint acclaimed as Father of the Poor. It is located in the heart of the developing Chrysanthemum Village in San Pedro, Laguna. After ministering for some time, the Somascans left and returned to the Diocese of San Pablo the administration in 1985. The then bishop of San Pablo, Most Rev. Pedro Bantigue, DD, requested the Augustinians in the nearby Colegio San Agustin-Biñan who also ministered the Sto. Niño de Cebu Parish. In response to the need of continuing the administration of the parish community, the Augustinians finally accepted it on November 24, 1986. In July 1, 1989, the Prior General and his council declared the parish as a religious residence. A newer parish church was decided to be constructed over the first one established by the Somascans in 1988 in order to accommodate the growing number of the parishioners. In the effort also to spread the Augustinian devotion of Our Mother of Good Counsel, Fr. DominadorBesares, OSA, the then parish priest, requested the Diocese to rename the parish under the advocacy of the Marian-Augustinian devotion. On October 6, 1995, the Bishop approved the proposal changing the patronage to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Return to top


Saint Augustine Parish (2006)
Cogon-San Ignacio, Gubat Sorsogon


The Augustinians founded a presence in Sorsogon in 2006 as a response to the Augustinian Contemplative nuns in Gubat, Sorsogon for their spiritual welfare. They settled in Bagacay, Gubat envisioning that likewise in the future, a new Parish under its pastoral care would rise up. Aside from the contemplative nuns, the friars were given pastoral responsibilities by the bishop of Sorsogon to pastoral care in Bagacay. This led to the creation of St. Lawrence the Deacon-Quasi Parish and its parish church is in Barangay Bagacay, more or less, seven kilometers away from the monastery of the Augustinian nuns. The Augustinian effort has propagated the local devotion the theSto. Niño, a historically rich devotion which has been a part of every Bagacaynon. Fr. Arlon Vergara, OSA was instrumental to the founding of a local Sinulog-like festivity dubbed as Pag-omaw festival. A Bicolano word means to praise. This is a jovial street dancing offered to the Sto. Niño. In August 30, 2014, a nearly complete parish church was blessed and inaugurated by Bp. Arturo Bastes, DD leading the Augustinians' dream to found a parish in Gubat, Sorsogon.

Return to top